2013-08-23

What's Mine Is Mine: Type 4 Noun Suffixes of Possession

<< First Page

Possessive Pronouns

tlhIngan Hol Type 4 noun suffixes are describe as "Possession / Specification." You have already encountered the "specification" part - the suffixes -vam this and -vetlh that are both Type 4 suffixes - but the following suffixes, here and in the next few posts, are the "possession" part.

Klingon uses ten different possessive suffixes. This post just concentrates on the first of those suffixes - the suffix for mine:-

-wIj my, mine

This suffix describes objects, places, animals and body parts belonging to the speaker. This suffix is never used to describe people or beings able to use language.

nuHweapon
nuHwIjmy weapon
juHhome
juHwIjmy home
qo'world
qo'wIjmy world
juHqo'homeworld
juHqo'wIjmy homeworld
qa'spirit
qa'wIjmy spirit
mInDu'eyes
mInDu'wIjmy eyes
Sajpet
SajwIjmy pet
yInlife
yInwIjmy life

Some examples of usage:-

juHqo'wIj 'oH qo'vam'e'This is my homeworld
pongwIj 'oH Dochvetlh'e'. yIQopmoHQo'!That's my name. Don't wear it out!
SojwIj yISopQo'Don't eat my food!
cho'wIj'e' vIruchrupI am ready to proceed with my succession
ro'wIj Dalegh'a'? chonepchugh, tugh ro'wIj DaHot!Do you see my fist? You'll feel it soon, if you lie to me!
tInqu' SajmeywIjMy pets are very large
naDev bIH paqmeywIj'e'Here are my books
qatlh lupDujHomwIj DaneHWhy do you want my shuttlecraft?
nuqDaq DujwIj DatlhapWhere are you taking my ship?
juHqo'wIj DaQaw'bejta'mo' ruv vIpoQBecause you definitely destroyed my homeworld, I demand justice!

<< First Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

DaH yIjatlh! Speak now!