2013-08-24

Captain, My Captain: Possessive Suffixes And Beings

<< First Page

-wI' mine (beings able to use language)

This suffix is only used to describe beings able to use language. It would be a grievous insult to use the -wIj suffix on such a person, particularly one of higher rank or someone otherwise important.

How To Use -wI'

-wI' can be used in terms of direct address to someone, as well as referring to such people to third parties.

-wI' Versus -wI'

Of course, the fact that there are two types of -wI' suffixes - one a verb suffix for that which does, doer; one a possessive noun suffix - could cause a lot of confusion. Context, in this case, should make things clear.

Are there other suffixes attached to the word? If the other suffixes look like verb suffixes, particularly -moH, your word is likely to be a verb turned into a noun with the -wI' doer suffix. Is there a suffix like -vaD, -Daq or -mo' attached to the word? If so, the word is a noun with a possessive suffix.

lu', joHwI'Yes, my Lord!
jatlh neH qama'wI'My prisoner wishes to speak
bong jaghwI' vIHoHlaw' rIntaHI may have accidentally killed my enemy
jupwI' vIlIH vIneHI want to introduce you to my friend
loDHomwI' DaqIHYou are meeting my boy for the first time
nuHmey qengta' loDnI'wI'My brother brought the weapons

<< First Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

DaH yIjatlh! Speak now!